YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) – The vacant building that caught fire in Youngstown Sunday morning has since been demolished.
The call came in for a building on the corner of McGuffey Road and Woodside Avenue around 6:30 a.m. No injuries were reported.
“I seen big black clouds of smoke,” said neighbor Gabrielle McWhorter.
McWhorter’s grandmother lives across from the vacant building, which formally housed Rondinelli Tuxedo dry cleaning.
McWhorter said she was woken up in the morning by her brother.
“He said, ‘It’s a fire’ and I woke up. I fell out of my bed,” she said.
Youngstown police blocked off the road to traffic while firefighters let the structure burn.
McWhorter said the smoke and flames were intense.
“They were really getting dark, dark, dark. It was really dark. I couldn’t see the men that was up there. It was that dark,” McWhorter said.
Later in the day, the decision was made to tear down the rest of the building. Those firefighters stayed there most of the day, making sure any hot spots that popped up and caught back on fire were extinguished quickly.
Investigators still arent sure what sparked the flames.
McWhorter said she is grateful for the quick work of first responders for protecting the neighborhood.