BOARDMAN, Ohio (WYTV) – U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos has named a Boardman school as a National Blue Ribbon School for 2020.
West Boulevard Elementary is one of 16 schools in Ohio that has been given the distinction by DeVos.
The designation is given to public and private schools based on their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups.
The other 15 schools in the state to receive the designation include:
- Avon Middle School – Avon
- Buckeye West Elementary – Grove City
- Central Elementary – Logan
- Constellation School – West Park Community Elementary – Cleveland
- Crosby Elementary School – Harrison
- C.O. Harrison Elementary School – Cincinnati
- Eastwood Elementary School – Pemberville
- Evanston Academy Elementary School – Cincinnati
- Holy Trinity School – Avon
- Rocky River High School – Rocky River
- Saint Paul School – Westerville
- Solon Middle School – Solon
- South Elementary School – New Philadelphia
- Spencerville Elementary School – Spencerville
- Tyler Run Elementary School – Powell
“I think it’s important to recognize the entire school community. It’s not just the teachers in the building or the staff in the building, it is the entire school community that meets those high expectations and the kids benefit from it,” said West Boulevard Principal Al Cervello.
The school is asking everyone to wear blue on Friday to celebrate winning the award.
More headlines from WKBN.com:
- Local businesses team up to host All-Inclusive Trunk or Treat in Boardman
- A few clouds and staying cool for your Sunday
- Fire crews keep fire under control as vacant house burns down in Youngstown
- Truck crashes into home in Youngstown
- Early in-person voting continues in Ohio, weekend voting begins