Reports: Cigarette started fire that killed man in Sebring

Local News

SEBRING, Ohio (WKBN) — A fire that killed a man in Sebring earlier this year was started by a cigarette, a coroner’s report said.

The report from the Mahoning County Coroner’s Office ruled the July 24 death of Lawrence Sweely, 74, as accidental. Sweely died of smoke inhalation after a fire broke out about 10 p.m. at his 447 New York Ave. home.

The report said firefighters found Sweely in a first-floor bathroom.

The report said the fire was started by a cigarette that ignited a gas canister inside the home.

It took firefighters, who were delayed by a train getting to the scene, several hours to put the fire out.

Lawrence E. Sweely obituary

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mel Robbins Main Area Middle

Trending on WYTV.com