Space heater caused Youngstown fire, investigators say

Local News

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Fire investigators say a space heater on an extension cord caused a small porch fire in Youngstown.

Fire crews and the American Red Cross responded to a house fire around 3:30 a.m. Friday in the 1600 block of Atkinson Avenue.

Crews said they first noticed a couch that was on fire on the front porch.

According to fire investigator Kurt Wright, a space heater was to blame for causing the fire after the extension cord it was plugged into caught on fire.

Crews said the American Red Cross was contacted to offer assistance to the family in the home.

Fires like this can also serve as a reminder of some of the basics of fire safety.

Always check your smoke detectors at least twice a year. You can do it when the clocks change, at the first and halfway points of the year, or even do it on the first of each month.

The second reminder deals with space heaters. They can get extremely hot and nothing should be within at least 2 feet of them.

“Biggest thing is to keep them away from other products. Keep them away from combustibles and never use extension cords, and when you’re not around them, to turn them off,” said Youngstown firefighter Charlie Smith.

Space heaters should be a supplement to heating your house, not a primary device to raise the temperature.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mel Robbins Main Area Middle

Trending on