Mom and daughter safe after duplex fire in Cortland

Local News

A mom and her 10-year-old daughter are safe after a fire broke out in their duplex Friday.

Flames broke out about 4:45 a.m. inside the unit in the 100 block Cedar Circle. 

When crews arrived, flames and smoke were coming from the side of the house.  

Cortland Fire Capt. Jeff Wagner said the fire started in a downstairs fireplace and worked its way up the walls to the little girl’s bedroom where wall insulation ignited. 

“it looks like it started in the fireplace downstairs and worked its way up through the walls. There were people inside but luckily they had smoke detectors and were able to evacuate,” Wagner said. “We were able to get in there quick and knock it down.”

Wagner said the smoke detectors played a vital role because there were no actual flames inside the house just heavy smoke. The mother and daughter were able to make it out before the flames broke through the interior wall. 

The fire melted the siding on a neighboring house. 

The State Fire Marshal is investigating.  

Several fire departments were called in to help including Bazetaa, Howland, Mecca and the Youngstown Air Reserve Station. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mel Robbins Main Area Middle

Trending on WYTV.com