WARREN, Ohio (WYTV) - A family was forced out of their Warren home on Thursday after an upstairs bedroom caught on fire.
Investigators say the fire was started by a young child playing with a handheld propane torch.
It happened at a house on Martin Luther King Boulevard just before noon.
Worried neighbors called police after seeing smoke coming from the house.
"Just smoke, just pure gray smoke [coming out the back]. Yeah, coming real bad from the upstairs," said neighbor Tiffany Harvey.
"Then it got worse and all I could think of was the kids and getting them out," said another neighbor, Mary Fisher.
Seven kids and their mom live in the house. All of them made it out safely.
"Houses can be replaced, kids can't," Fisher said.
"We don't believe it was suspicious, we believe it may have been mischievous," said Warren Asst. Fire Chief Rick Yauger.
Now, that child will have to enroll in the Warren Fire Department's Juvenile Fire Setter Program, which is aimed at teaching kids about the dangers of fire.
Members of the fire department are trained in teaching children and parents important fire safety information.
"None of them got hurt and that was a miracle, that was a good thing," Fisher said.
The Warren Fire Department contacted the American Red Cross to assist the family with finding a place to stay.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Police: 3 injured at Youngstown bar shooting
- Akron Children's Hospital holding Christmas in July toy drive in Canfield
- Power disconnected during burglary of Youngstown home
- Community members give back by donating blood to Red Cross