MINERAL RIDGE, Ohio (WYTV) – A father and daughter were killed in a house fire in Mineral Ridge Friday morning.
Russell Poling and Robin Kralik had already died when crews got to the scene. They were father and daughter.
Kralik’s two adult children made it out safely.
911 call: “Yes, it’s bad. My grandfather’s in the house and so is my mother. You know what, I’m breaking the window to get them out of here.”
The fire in the 1400 block of Lincoln Ave. started around 4:45 a.m., starting in the kitchen on the lower level of the house and making its way up.
Firefighters pulled Poling and Kralik from the burning home, the two were asleep upstairs. Weathersfield Fire Chief Tom Lambert called it a “difficult rescue.”
“It was difficult because there was so much fire in front of the house and then when they were going upstairs, there was a lot of heat and smoke. There were two separate areas upstairs so it took them a few minutes to find them to get them downstairs and out to the Lane ambulances,” he said.
Investigators said one of the adult children, Raymond Kralik, was boiling oil to cook french fries when the fire started.
“I didn’t even go in and sit down for five minutes literally and I seen fire coming from the kitchen,” he said.
Raymond says his grandfather, Poling, was his rock and the loss of both Poling and his mother, Robin, is very rough.
“Right now I’m still in shock, but a little while ago I couldn’t quit crying,” he said.
“Nighttime is a dangerous time to cook. You put something on the stove, you sit down, you accidentally fall asleep, you get distracted. Then you have a horrible event like this happen,” Chief Lambert said.
Raymond says he tried getting to his mom and grandfather but couldn’t make it up the steps.
“I don’t know of anything they could have done that would have changed the negative outcome. What happened with this family is just very sad,” Chief Lambert said.
“I wish I could have done more, but there was nothing, nothing more I could have done, I don’t think,” Raymond said.
Multiple fire departments responded.
Crews didn’t see a smoke detector in the house, but they were going to check again.
The state fire marshal was called in to investigate.