SALEM, Ohio (WYTV) – Three families were displaced after an apartment fire in Salem Tuesday.
Firefighters got to the scene in the 500 block of Franklin St. just after 6 a.m. Smoke was pouring from the building, which contains seven apartments.
People were living in three of those apartments, but everyone, including a pet, made it out safely.
The fire started at the end apartment furthest from the road, investigators said.
Chief Scott Mason said it wasn’t an easy fire to fight.
“Little bit of a problem. Renovations over the years made it a little bit difficult. There was a flat roof originally with a peet roof added onto that. That definitely took its toll on us, trying to get access to the fire.”
Mason said the cuase is still undetermined but believes gasoline from a leaf blower helped fuel the flames.
The American Red Cross and the community is looking to help the families displaced by the fire.
Red Cross volunteer Ginger Grilli said the apartment was so damaged that the families needed to relocate.
“They need to relocate permanently because the building is not going to be rebuilt,” Grilli said.
The American Red Cross is helping the families find housing through emergency financial assistance.
“Anytime someone loses their residency it is bad. It is especially worse during the holiday season,”
The Red Cross always brings mental health providers to help people impacted by a hurricane or similar disaster, but with the stress of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, they can also provide that help for local issues.
“We have a team of volunteers, licensed mental health professionals who can help these folks,” said Jim McIntyre, communications director for the American Red Cross.
Grilli says the Salem community is very supportive of each other after events Tuesday’s fire, but McIntyre encourages you to donate or volunteer if you’d like to help.
“We need more volunteers who have it in their hearts to help their neighbors and people who suffer these kinds of terrible disasters,” McIntyre said.