WARREN, Ohio (WKBN) — Investigators are still working to figure out how an apartment building in Warren caught fire.

It happened around 4 a.m. Sunday at the Hampshire House Apartments on Fifth Street SW. The building housed seven townhome-style apartments.

Three children and two adults were taken to the hospital, and several firefighters were also treated at the scene.

As restoration crews work to assess the damage at the apartment building that caught fire over the weekend neighbors in the area said they’re heartbroken for the families who lived in the building.

“Something big like that, you can’t get nothing back and that’s sad, heartbroken,” said neighbor Asia Mae.

Exposed beams, a hole in the roof, and boarded-up windows and doors are the visible damage.

“If that happened to me, I would have been devastated, so I always put myself in other people’s shoes,” said neighbor Kashe Smith. “I felt bad.”

Dispatcher: 911 do you have an emergency?
Caller: Come to 1346 Fifth Street it’s a big expletive fire
.

Caller: These apartments are on fire down here, please hurry up.

Warren Fire Chief Ken Nussle said the fire started in the living room area of the end apartment and spread upstairs quickly.

He said the building had working smoke detectors, which likely saved lives.

Although Nussle said it doesn’t appear to be suspicious, investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office are working to figure out how the fire started.

“We’re just fortunate that there were no major injuries it could have been much worse,” Nussle said.

ABC Management is the property management company for Hampshire House Apartments. Its chief of operations says there are available units on the property, so the tenants that were displaced by the fire will soon have a new place to live.

Donations of clothes, non-perishables and toiletries for the fire victims can be dropped off at the leasing office.