(WYTV) - You may have heard eating fresh is healthier. Some say farm-to-table is best but what about field-to-table?
Foraging for food may come at a risk. Certain mushrooms grown in the wild can be dangerous to eat.
Dr. Christina Lindenmeyer, from the Cleveland Clinic, said mushrooms can lead to death -- even if you don't eat an entire one.
"These mushrooms contain high levels of toxins and even up to just a half cap of the mushroom can be lethal for an adult human and, obviously, a much smaller amount for any child."
Wild mushrooms can bring on an upset stomach or vomiting -- symptoms may not show until a day later. After a couple of days, the damage to your liver has already begun.
Doctors said to keep a close eye on children and pets when they're playing outdoors so they don't put any wild mushrooms in their mouth.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Community remembers fallen Girard officer
- State lawmakers push for teen driving permits to last 1 year
- Youngstown runners racing through area
- One year later: Remembering Girard Police Officer Justin Leo