Fire forces man from home in Youngstown


A man was forced from his house early Wednesday after he smelled smoke

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) — Reports said candles used by a man to light his South Side Youngstown home after the power was shut off in September caused a fire early Wednesday.

Crews called about 2:15 a.m. to a 205 W. Delason Ave. house on the South Side found a fire on the second floor that spread from the bedroom to a hallway.

Crews contained the fire to the second floor but had to punch holes in the roof to vent the fire, reports said.

Damage is listed at $4,940, a total loss. No one was injured. The homeowner said he had a relative he could stay with after firefighters left.

The homeowner told firefighters he had been using candles to light the house ever since his power was cut off in September.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on