(WYTV) – This month, WYTV is teaming up with Mahoning County Children Services and Akron Children’s Hospital to bring awareness to child abuse and neglect.
Do you know how to spot the warning signs?
Here are a few concerning behaviors and physical signs to look for:
- The child suddenly changes their behavior or performance in school
- They’re always watchful, preparing for something bad to happen
- They have unexplained injuries
- They seem scared of their parent or caregiver
- They protest or cry when it is time to go home
Here’s how you can help:
- Give the child a safe space to talk
- Comfort them
- Remain calm and listen to what the child is telling you and write it down
- Report it by calling the police or your local child protective services agency
Head over to Akron Children’s Hospital’s website for more information about child abuse.