Hometown Heroes: Boy, 11, raises thousands to help others

Hometown Heroes
Scotty Crawford Hometown Hero_46912

CANFIELD, Ohio (WYTV) – This week’s Hometown Hero has raised thousands of dollars to help others and he is only 11 years old.

Helping others seems to be something that is in Scotty Crawford’s blood. When he saw the condition of the Canfield War Vets museum, he knew right away that it couldn’t stay like that, so he began raising money to fix it up. It all started three years ago after a school field trip.

“It kind of makes me feel sad. Because we need to honor our veterans, for all they’ve done to make us free in America,” Crawford said. “I noticed that the war vets needed a paint coat and new siding.”

He noticed several other things that were in need of a little tender loving care. It needed things like new windows and woodwork, a little landscaping and some repair work to the porch. He told his family he wanted to help.

Crawford’s aunt, Karyn Frederick, nominated him to be a Hometown Hero.

“He’s got a heart for this, to the point where we wanted to fix it up. He thought it was a shame, and we all do,” Frederick said.

Crawford began writing letters, giving presentations and seeking donations. The response he received was very positive.

“The first letter I got was $2,000 and then in September, I wrote my second letter and got $5,000,” Crawford said.

Veterans with the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Ellsworth and the Canfield Junior Women’s League are among those who have donated.

Fred Schrock, who donated to the cause, believes that Crawford could inspire others.

“The history is not going to die as long as we have future generations that are going to carry it on. He may be the inspiration for others. I’m sure he is,” Schrock said.

In addition to raising money for the Canfield War Vets museum, Crawford actively raises money for Relay for Life.

“He is an utter inspiration, because he even talked about his relay for life group that he does, and we donated to that because how could you not, this kid is something else,” Dr. Marnie Murphy of the Canfield Junior Womens League said.

Crawford has raised a sizeable amount of money for both organizations. With Relay for Life and the war vets museum, Crawford has raised a total of $39,000.

He hasn’t reached his goal yet for the war vets museum, but hopes to begin “sprucing up the place” this fall. For those who would like to donate, there is a war vets museum building fund at Farmers National Bank.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Mel Robbins Main Area Middle

Trending on WYTV.com