AUSTINTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) - During Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we want to show you how an Austintown woman’s foundation is making a difference and why her work makes her this week’s 33 WYTV Hometown Hero.
Brenda Rider's foundation is called A Way with Words and she does have a way with words: she's a poet, and an accomplished musician as well.
Her organization helps children who have survived cancer. She herself is a breast cancer survivor.
"The A Way with Words Foundation also helps adults that have been touched by cancer and is a way for them to share their experience or what their experience has done for them," Rider said.
Rider's best friend is her neighbor, Sheryl Altizer.
“I started to go to some of her events and I cannot tell you how energetic she is to help these kids with cancer,” Altizer said.
Brenda is a singer, songwriter and she's collected guitars from artists all over the country, she even has one from Vince Gill. She'll have as many as 15 to auction at the racino in Austintown this spring.
“That’s one of our big money makers as far as being able to do what we do with reaching out for kids, publishing books and buying instruments and what not for kids that are going through treatment,” Rider said.
Also coming up this spring, there will be a basket auction at Austintown Township Park and the April Kite Fly -- that's just for fun.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Organization, volunteers in Austintown help kids with place to sleep
- California farm linked to romaine lettuce E. coli recalls other produce
- Local Boy Scouts serve up breakfast with Santa in Canfield
- Fire destroys garage at vacant Youngstown house