Hometown Hero has been helping Hubbard students ‘break a leg’ for 2 decades

Hometown Heroes

HUBBARD, Ohio (WYTV) – A woman in Hubbard has been helping high school students “break a leg” for over two decades.

This year, Carol Killian, Hubbard High School’s drama club advisor, directed her final show — Grease. She’s been doing this for 21 years.

Killian will also be retiring from her day job as a high school secretary. She’ll have a lot of time to fill.

“This consumes my life, both fall and from January to now,” she said. “I’m not really sure but I will find plenty to do, I’m sure, and I won’t be bored. We’ll just have to see. I’m going to miss it terribly, but it’s time.”

In those 21 years, Killian has spent countless evenings conducting often hours-long rehearsals for Hubbard High’s fall and spring musicals, inspiring many along the way.

“Not only is it learning how to act and get better at singing, you learn how to work as a group and we’re all a big family,” Chloe Ryhal said.

“She’s kind of been a role model at times because she just always knows what to do,” Sydney Vaupel said.

“She’s always there as our director, and as our advisor and as our secretary of the schools, so we can always talk to her,” Ryhal said.

“It’s something that she deserves and I’m really happy she’s getting this award,” Derrick Cobbin said.

“She’s just done so much that it’s hard to put a lot of it into words, but she is definitely what I’d consider a Hometown Hero,” Ryhal said.

“I appreciate that so much,” Killian said. “It makes me feel like I’ve accomplished what I’m meant to. I try to be like a mother to them sometimes — onstage, personal lives, I hear it all. That means so much to me to have the kids say that. It really does.”

If you know someone doing good in your community or helping make this Valley a better place to call home, nominate them to be a Hometown Hero.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WYTV.com