Hometown Hero goes out of his way to help struggling veterans

Hometown Heroes

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WYTV) – Youngstown native Delmas Stubbs spent over two decades in the Army. Now he dedicates his time to helping veterans and making his community a better place.

Delmas served 22 years in the Army and is an Iraq war veteran.

After retiring, he eventually made his way back to Youngstown and has spent the last four years as the veteran outreach coordinator at the Mahoning County Veterans Service Commission, along with getting his degree from YSU.

In addition to getting local vets connected with the VA, he works with dozens of community agencies to help his fellow servicemen and women.

“I outreach into the community. I’ve worked with the highest levels of government with the mayor. I’ve worked with the agencies, the churches to find those veterans in the community that are in need,” Delmas said.

He’s helped veterans and their spouses get everything from new roofs and wheelchair ramps to clothes, appliances and medical equipment through local donations.

“Last week alone, we came across two homeless veterans that we are now working with to get housing and get stability in their life,” he said.

Delmas said because the Mahoning and Shenango valleys have such strong support for veterans, donations are always coming in.

“If we got a problem with a veteran, we’re going to get the problem fixed.”

Delmas also spends countless hours on the road, taking vets to sporting events and organizing holiday meals and events that improve their physical and mental health.

However, sometimes he helps people the moment he meets them. One of those times was when he was walking down the street, saw a man with a Vietnam vet hat and introduced himself.

“He grabbed me and pulled me in, and grabbed me and hugged me. He cried on my shoulder,” Delmas said. “I asked him what was wrong. He said, ‘I was in Vietnam. I was in a plane crash and I’m the only survivor.’ I said, ‘OK, what have you done since then?’ He said, ‘Nothing.'”

Delmas got that man an appointment with mental health services. Two days after they met, he was talking with a counselor.

“A week later, his wife had called me and told me he’d already changed,” Delmas said.

He’s helped hundreds of people but said if we all focus on helping others one person at a time, that can make a big impact.

“If everyone takes a proactive approach at helping one person in the community, we can go a long way.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending on WYTV.com